Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Musings? What musings?

The concept for this blog truly was born one morning as I drove to work on Route 66. It was one of those periods in a writer’s life when the words were coming so fast and furious that I couldn’t begin to get them all down on paper. (If you’re a writer, an artist, a musician, you know what I mean.)

The little town where we lived had a small newspaper, one of those publications where just about anyone can submit just about anything, from a report on the bonnets at a ladies’ club tea to the latest pee-wee league baseball scores. (Believe me, it had both.)

I was musing and I was on Route 66. What better to call this venture than “Musings on Route 66”?

I was thinking of approaching the local editor with my column concept, when we learned we’d be moving to another Illinois community. It didn’t seem right to abandon a town, yet expect to have my words included in its local paper, so I abandoned the idea as well.

But, still, it kept nagging at me – or was it “calling out" for me?

Here, there and everywhere

Today, my musings take place almost anywhere – yes, even in the shower – but I still like that early name and what it represents – a slower pace, a time to look back, look forward, to travel in time and in thoughts.

As I realized that this blog was determined to write itself, I decided maybe I should think about the sorts of things I’d share here.

Stories begging to be shared

Here’s what I know now that I will share.

But don’t forget. I’m a writer.

Writers often have stories that just tap us on the shoulder, haunt us in our sleep, jump up and down on the passenger seats of our minivans, saying “Write me, write me, write me.” So, we must. Those stories may not always fit into one of the categories I’ve chosen, but one thing is for sure. They’re destined to be shared.

As this blog begins, I have plans to share musings that I can neatly plug under these headings. Click on the tabs at the top of the pages to learn what types of things I’ll be sharing in each of these categories:

  • Been thinkin’
  • A book is perking
  • Books worth reading
  • Boomer banter
  • Found a quote
  • Inspired in Illinois
  • Missouri minutes
  • The Mother Road
  • Sensational beings
  • Simple things
  • Wanna be a writer?

I’m hoping, dear reader, that if you found your way to this blog, there’s something in one of these categories that may interest you. Click on the links, check out the introductory posts and watch for links to future posts.

Just like the people who journey down Route 66, we’re heading out on a great adventure. Can’t wait to see where it takes us.

© Ann Tracy Mueller 2012

(Image via)

No comments:

Post a Comment